Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mauritius

We only had one day in Mauritius and I spent my time on a SAS trip. It turned out to be a pretty good decision, even though it meant I didn’t have any free time to do anything else. The trip was called Volcanic Island and my rationale for choosing it was that if I got to see volcanoes in Mauritius I wouldn’t feel obligated to go see them in Hawaii and could do other things there instead. We didn’t see any active volcanoes. Deceiving name. But we did see a lot of really cool things, including a volcanic crater (even though it just looked like a sunken part of the rest of the highly-vegetated island). We saw a few waterfalls that were really pretty. We also went to see the “seven colors of the earth” or something like that. It’s volcanic ash that’s in a bunch of different colors. We ate lunch at a Creole restaurant that was an interesting and delicious mix of French and Indian food. The island itself has a large Indian population, but it’s a whole lot cleaner and less hectic than real India. After lunch we went to a beach and swam in the Indian Ocean. The water was super warm and very calm because of a reef or something offshore that blocks all the waves. Mauritius was possibly the prettiest place we’ve visited but not a whole lot else to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment